Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tale of a Tail

Tristan's tail is fractured. I don't know how he did it as we're always together these days and nothing has happened. We were walking along and he shook himself and let out a yelp. Then he looked all around (and at me accusingly) to see what caused it. Several hours later he yipped as he settled down on the front seat. I'm always super nervous because of his back surgery so I took him to the vet the same day. He seemed fine all over but finally reacted when his tail was handled. The end of it about five inches up was tender. We opted for a wait and see and Tristan went on a NSAID. When I felt his tail later in the week it was no longer tender but he had a bump there so the vet wanted to x-ray it.

I really, really hate for Tristan to have anesthesia so I was very emphatic that I wanted them to try to get it done without it. I gave the office appropriate commands for him like platz and hold still. I knew he would obey me but I was afraid the techs would try to wrestle him into position (too strong, too resistant) or be too passive when giving the commands. It's a good thing Tristan is not a dog actor since I would be a total stage mother. Tristan was a stellar guy and did fine - or at least I've been kept in the dark about any grand wrestling match.

The vet and radiologist concurred that Tristan's tail probably can be saved if he wears a splint. He'll need to wear it for a month. It will be changed weekly and it's hot pink this week.

I think Tristan is giving a very reproachful look at having a humiliating picture taken.

What is it with me and my dogs' tails? My beloved Rocky broke his tail by standing up under a glass and bronze occasional table. He lifted the very heavy thick glass, turned and caught his tail between it and the metal frame which acted as a vise. It was very bloody and very traumatic and fortunately I was home when it happened. Rocky (half collie and half elkhound) had a lovely fluffy tail that would curl tighter the happier he was. It couldn't be saved and he ended up with a stubby tail. Tristan is lucky to have a very long tail just in case...

Tristan has had the splint on for two days and he's been very good about it. The vet thought he would need a cone but so far Tristan has been a very good patient and left the splint alone. It may be that he's seen the cone of shame and wants no part of it. It's huge and the size of a large lampshade.

Please think good thoughts for Titus, a lab/husky mix. His owner gifted me the cone. Titus has aggressive cancer and is receiving chemotherapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home