Friday, December 21, 2007

Dumbbell

A real dumbbell - not Tristan or me. We need to learn some new commands for the Schutzhund 1 and working with dumbbells is one of them. In obedience he must retrieve a dumbbell from the flat, over a hurdle and over the scaling wall plus learn the send out with down. In tracking Tristan needs to learn to indicate on articles. I think he has all the protection work down although we'll still practice it a lot.

Today we started working with the dumbbell. It may be a challenge for us for several reasons. The biggest problem is that I have to throw the dumbbell. I think we've established that I throw like a girl; however, the dumbbell throw is an underhanded toss so with practice I should be able to manage it. The issue is really that I'm left handed. I haven't figured out the best way to proceed. If I toss left handed, the dumbbell is between Tristan and me and I'd have to step away from him to have room to throw. It's still a bit disconcerting to throw it on the same side as the dog. I can try to do it right handed although accuracy in tossing it might be an issue. I'm going to try to find out how other lefties do it.

We just did little lobs today so it wasn't a problem. I started with placing a ball a short distance away on the field and having Tristan wait until I gave him the bring command. This was for him to get the idea that he was to wait and then bring an item back to me on command. Not too hard since he's a ball monster. I need to be careful, however, in training Tristan on the dumbbell so that he knows this is different than fetch. When we play fetch, there aren't any hard rules since it's his play time. He can make long sweeping returns to me which is what he likes to do. When he's retrieving the dumbbell though he needs to come directly back to me, hold it calmly and present it to me sitting in front. After two ball retrieves, I put the dumbbell on the field a short distance away. Tristan knew exactly what I wanted and brought the dumbbell right to me. You could tell he was proud and thought it was fun. Good start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home