Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's too hot!

I'm joking! After a very chilly spring, we're having a Seattle heat wave - meaning it's over 70. Actually it hit 90 today and it was wonderful.

We headed out of the city to our current favorite, Whidbey Island. The excuse was the Penn Cove Water Festival in Coupeville but it really was an excuse. After a quick stop we headed for the beach and it was perfect. The breezes off the water were just right so it was wonderfully sunny and still comfortable.

A charming young boy approached wanting to meet Tristan. Kids are so cool and so sweet with animals. I enjoy talking with them and having Tristan do tricks for them - kids are a much easier crowd than Schutzhund. The youngster spotted some of Tristan's balls in the back so I told him how he finds so many. Very confidentially he told me of a great spot for balls that he thought we should check out. A kindred spirit.

Later in the day I had a scare with Tristan while driving a country road. He had his head out the window which I only let him do if we're going very slowly and there is no traffic around to kick up debris. Suddenly he started howling in pain and laid his head on the seat. It was absolutely terrifying and I had no idea what was wrong. He had his head to one side so I could only see one eye and I couldn't tell if something was wrong with his other eye. Amid all the howling and yelping I finally saw that his paw was caught in the seat hinge. As I got out to open the the right door, he extricated himself. It was over pretty quickly and Tristan's paw was okay but I hope I never have to hear such howling again. His seat (actually the folded down right hand seat) is now covered with several layers of blanket so the mishap can't happen again.

The scare aside, it was a beautiful day filled with long awaited sunshine and nice encounters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home