Sunday, April 30, 2006

The blind leading the blind

Tristan did his first blind search today. The helper hides in a blind and the dog is sent out to go around behind the blind to search for any bad guy lurking there. I was amazed that Tristan knew he was supposed to go to the blind (although he wasn't too sure what he was supposed to do once there). He's supposed to bark and hold until the helper makes a threatening move. Tristan didn't bark right away but then finally got some warning woofs out. It's fun to see how the training pieces fit together. It's so cool when he goes on to the next step.

We also did some good tracking. I laid the track which was in deep grass. I tried hard to pick up my feet and make longer strides so each footstep is clear. Tristan did great on his tracking and the trainer complimented me that I did well holding the leash! No joke! You have to hold the leash enough so he doesn’t go too fast so he gets every footstep but then relax it so he’s not pulling on it. It’s actually rather hard to get the right rhythm going.

All in all a nice training day. Tristan was really tuckered out. He slept all the way home with his head on my arm. He has, however, made an amazing recovery and is now being quite insistent that I join him in the backyard for fetch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home