Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Some bling for his grill

Tristan went to the veterinary dentist today. For anyone who doubts me when I call Tristan a chew monster, I can bring a note from the doctor. The official diagnosis is 'he's ball crazy'.

I took Tristan in because I wanted an evaluation of his teeth and if there's anything that can be done. His canines are wearing down because of his relentless ball chewing. His other teeth are great and his canines are still ok meaning no root canals are required but the vet recommended capping them so they won’t wear more. I actually wasn’t too surprised because I knew his bottom ones have really worn a lot – but all four were a shock. The biggest surprise is that the caps have to be metal and not porcelain or ceramic because the latter aren’t strong enough. Can you imagine how scary Tristan will look with metal fangs? I know he can be rather intimidating looking just because he’s a sable GSD but with steel teeth? Crikey! We’ll have folks parting a path left and right when we wander through a crowd.

I’m going to talk to the trainer and breed warden on Sunday before I make any decisions. The caps are okay for Schutzhund but Tristan doesn’t have his breed survey yet which he needs in order to sire any pups. Caps are not acceptable for confirmation, however, I don’t know if it affects the breed survey. Thank goodness he already has his SG (very good) in conformation. He received that last year when he placed first in his class at the Pacific Northwest Regional show (I'll take any opportunity to brag). Tristan has everything else and “just” needs a SchH1 title.

I will, of course, do what's best for Tristan. The optimal result would be not to cap his teeth and for them to stop wearing down but that doesn't seem like a realistic possibility. The dentist wouldn't give an estimate how long before his teeth might wear down to the nerve. He suggested varying ball sizes every day. I don't let Tristan use tennis balls very often because they are abrasive, however, the vet pointed out rubber balls are also abrasive.

A friend suggested I'd probably insist on some diamonds in the caps. Heck, I won't be able to afford any jewels after paying for the caps; but if you see a ferocious looking GSD with some bling in his grill, that's us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home