Sunday, May 07, 2006

Exhausted but proud

Tristan and I are exhausted! We had a very long, cold, wet, windy, miserable day of training. Weather wise this was the worst day ever of training. I got through it by whining and thinking of all the martyr points I was collecting. I am a confirmed night owl so 6:00 AM Sunday morning is grim especially since I rarely get to sleep before 2:00 or 3:00 AM.

Tracking was decent. It was cold and overcast but not raining yet. The ground cover was mowed so I didn't have to do the high step routine of last week. Tristan did well finding the turns and not moving too fast. It was harder for me to tell where I had laid the track but Tristan knew so we did fine.

He's getting much better at obedience on the club field. Tristan is terrific at home but when we get to the field and around the other dogs, he gets so excited that he's hard to handle. Also I tend to get rattled easier and he picks up on this too. This week he was substantially more manageable and it felt a lot better. It seems to have finally kicked in with him that he's supposed to pay 100% attention to me and ignore everything else going on. Not that he actually did the 100% but it looks like we can get there. Huge improvement!

The really miserable weather started when we began protection work. It was windy, very cold and raining. Thank goodness I had my $1.98 plastic poncho. It was amazingly effective - I'm going to buy a supply of these. Besides I look so fetching in it - like I've detoured through the dry cleaners.

Tristan did great on the blind search. This week he knew exactly what to do. We did it three times and on the final time I was able to do the victory run (okay, amble) back to the car. Tristan had the sleeve firmly in his mouth all the way to the car. It felt great.

During our breakfast break Paul, the trainer, again talked about how good Tristan is. He says Tristan has so much drive that has never been released. He noted how incredibly strong he is and how even the big strong guys have a hard time holding him when they help me. I'm so lucky that Tristan is such a sweetie even with all his drive. Paul again said he'd love to have Tristan. Pretty impressive since Paul breeds GSDs and has his own great dogs. It's so incredibly motivating to me. It really encourages me to do everything possible so Tristan reaches his potential. Now if I could just be as good as Tristan.

A lot of new members are joining the club and were there today. We're really a diverse group and it's fun and interesting to get to know people that one might not otherwise meet. I love to see their beautiful dogs.

All this writing is after arriving home at 5:00 and taking a long nap. Now off to bed again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home