Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Back to reality

Back to training and back to reality. We continue to work on Tristan's obedience during protection. Tonight the work focused on Tristan being in the correct position. He tends to heel and sit next to me at an angle with his rear end out instead of straight as he should. Tonight the trainer had his wife, also an excellent trainer, loop a leash around Tristan's rear. When Tristan's rear swung out, she pulled it into position. We also did an exercise of Tristan sitting next to me and then I turned slightly into him. Each time she pulled Tristan into position. The purpose is for Tristan to learn he has to reposition himself and sit correctly next to me even as I turn in a tight circle.

Tristan coped with this and then threw a major tantrum. He definitely did not like being restrained with leashes at both ends. He pulled and bucked and flung himself around trying to get loose. It was a very impressive display. I was amazed that the trainer remained calm and forceful even as Tristan looked and sounded like he was ready to do serious damage unless it stopped right then.

After the drama we went back to the exercise and Tristan was fine. I didn't get an opportunity to discuss the episode with the trainer but plan to on Sunday. I want to be sure it was a normal defensive reaction on Tristan's part and not likely to make him aggressive when he is restrained in different circumstances, for example, when he's at the vet, etc.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It shouldn't. We tried a similar positioning exercise with Sorcha. She wouldn't buck and scream and throw a tantrum she just wrapped herself around my leg with all four paws. Her "here" position is nice and tight now though.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home