Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Nice day

We had a lovely training session today. After several days of too hot wilting weather, this evening was gorgeous and absolutely perfect with the late evening light.

Tristan is greatly improved (at this specific moment in time). We have been practicing going on the field for protection work but not actually doing much protection work. We're focusing on Tristan's obedience while he is in high drive. I heel him on and then around the field circling a helper so he learns to focus on me and to ignore the helper. Tristan started out doing his loud (very loud) whining routine but he settled right down. The trainer walks right behind us and controls Tristan's leash giving him corrections so Tristan learns to heel correctly and to look adoringly up at me. I liken it to the Nancy Reagan political wife gaze.

Tonight we worked on Tristan staying further back at my side when he heels. It can be difficult for me to heel with Tristan since when he looks up at me his front tends to curl around my legs. I find I'm bumping into him while trying to go forward or turning left. We soon grind to a halt since Tristan is so solid and my knees are so weak. I just can't forge ahead like most folks. It's a lot better with him staying further back.

Another thing I have to work on is for Tristan to learn commands by voice only. When giving him the "break" command (to release him from an obedience command), I'm used to bending over and giving him big enthusiastic pats. I was taught to do so by another obedience trainer. One of the experienced club members tonight pointed out that I use lots of hand signals with Tristan that I'm probably not even aware of. I'm not surprised since Tristan seems to respond better to hand signals than voice commands. Schutzhund obedience is all about voice commands so I better learn to train and command by voice alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home