Sunday, July 02, 2006

Great weekend

We had a great weekend. It was dogs, dogs, dogs all weekend long and the weather was absolutely perfect. Saturday was a work party to prepare for the club's upcoming confirmation show and Schutzhund trial on July 14 to 16. It was mostly painting the blinds and other equipment plus lots of mowing of the field. Afterwards we had a potluck and then practice for the confirmation show.

Westminster it's not. It was fun seeing all these big, burly dogs running around in a circle playing show dog. Dear Nicole is going to show Tristan. She's also going to handle Tristan so he can take the AD endurance test which is a 12 mile run with the handler on a bike. It's so sweet of her and I'm happy Tristan gets to participate in the trial even though the big boy still isn't ready to do his BH.

Too bad all training days can't all be like today's. As we hit Hwy 2, there was unexpected early morning fog. I absolutely love fog especially when it's not a dangerous driving situation. It was just burning off as I hit the training field and the sun was shining. Across the road in another field a rainbow colored hot air balloon was landing as I pulled up. It was glorious and I was totally giddy. Apparently that's all it takes to make me enjoy getting up early.

Tristan was really good at his tracking. He hasn't been tracking for about three weeks and it was great to see him doing well. I laid a longer track with three turns plus skipping food drops. He got off course once when my track crossed another track I didn't know about but once back on my track he was fine. The trainer said I can start skipping even more food drops plus we can start working on articles (items the dog alerts on when found on the track).

Obedience went well too. Tristan seemed anxious to show me he knew what he was supposed to do when we hit the field. We may have turned a corner. For the last several outings I've let him off leash when I could before or after training to do a bit of romping when there's no other dogs on the field. I think it's really helped for him to understand he gets to do that too. Even the trainer said Tristan was close to his BH (except for that tiny part about heeling off leash too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home