Saturday, August 19, 2006

Canis non grata no more

Tristan and I went visiting and he was a very good boy. It was a lovely evening perfect for drinks on the patio and I took Tristan because he'd been cooped up all day. It was fun to show what a great dog he is now.

He's been canis non grata since he was eight months old and we went to my friends' eighty year old mother's home for Christmas. Tristan who was very nice at home turned into a rampaging maniac. First he scared her dog, Katie, who then had to stay outside in the rain. He leapt around the living room jumping up on the couch and trying to eat the pillows. I put him on a leash and he chewed through it in two minutes. It was a nightmare. I was so afraid he'd jump up on my elderly friend and knock her over. Luckily Tristan didn't do that but he committed every other doggie faux pas possible. Our plan for a warm entertaining evening with the dogs playing together went poof and we slunk away in disgrace.

I didn't realize how long it's been since he has made an appearance. It was wonderful to show off the new and improved, well trained Tristan. He's a handsome hunk now instead of mostly ears and tail. He heeled beautifully, looked adoringly at me, did his party tricks, was flirty with my friends and then laid calmly at my feet as we enjoyed drinks, food and conversation. And to think it only took two years plus and months and months of training to reach this lovely state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home