Sunday, May 21, 2006

Taking a tumble

Another fun day of training. I can't believe how much I enjoy it. Tristan did a slightly different track today and managed pretty well. The track spanned a five foot wide patch of dirt with turns on both ends and Tristan made the turns quite well. His only bad part was on the dirt. He didn't keep his nose down when he had trouble and seemed too willing to break off when he encountered problems with the dirt section. Mainly he didn't seem to want to bother with the treats in the dirt. How fastidious.

I regret to say obedience is our weak area. Tristan's first test for his BH is mid July and I have a hard time believing he will be ready for heeling off leash (or on leash for that matter). He got loose and wouldn't come right back to me. Instead he did a very joyous romp playing keep away. He clearly was having a grand time pouncing around. It was over quickly but not before I was thoroughly embarrassed. Then more embarrassment because our heeling is sub par. I struggle to get Tristan to heel well and look up to me for attention. The trainer took him and immediately Tristan's prancing around like he's ready for the trial tomorrow.

Protection was good as always. The routine is for Tristan to pay attention to me then do the blind search upon my revier command. He barks and holds until the sleeve is presented. This week he had to obey the out command to drop the sleeve while still in front of the helper. Nicely done. The only drama occurred when I brought Tristan onto the field. My knee gave out and I did a lovely pratfall. It happened in a flash and I was on the ground before I even realized it. I torqued my knee earlier in the day while laying track and it was painful all day but I didn't expect it to just plain give out on me.

So, recapping, a bit of a problem in tracking, truly abominable obedience and a nosedive in protection. Ok, maybe it wasn't such a good day of training after all. But the weather was lovely and it's all about being out spending time with the dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home