Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Trust your instincts

I've learned to trust my instincts in both my personal and business life so I shouldn't be surprised that they also are reliable when it comes to dog training. I knew something was wrong with our last session. I had a really good discussion with the training director before tonight's protection work. The corrections given only increased Tristan's drive when he was already hyper. He needs to be quiet (and obedient) while waiting to go onto the field but the director showed me another technique for correction versus popping the leash. Also, I need to do the corrections. Tristan needs to know I'm in charge and in charge all the time.

We are going to limit the protection work Tristan does and concentrate on him learning proper behavior to and from the field during protection work. Tonight's session was just me bringing him onto the field and correcting him for being unruly by pulling up on him (not popping). Very short session and very raggedy on my part because I'm not very strong but we'll work on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home